- Applied Biotechnology
- Piedmont Region
Are you in the market for some fresh, new ideas for how to apply biotechnology concepts in your own classroom? Are your students excited about forensic science, but you’re unsure how to incorporate it into your existing curriculum? Have you ever watched a crime show performing laboratory analyses and thought “I wonder how I could bring that into my classroom?” If any of these scenarios sound familiar, then BioNetwork has got you covered! Come join us this summer for this exciting 3 day, hands-on, biotechnology workshop.
- Explanation of PCR basics
- Exploring DNA fingerprinting and analysis using gel electrophoresis
- Investigating forensic applications of chromatography
- Performing testing and analysis blood and other serological samples
- Exploring the fundamental scientific concepts underlying biotechnology and its applications
- Providing effective methods/lesson plans that integrate multidisciplinary science into course curricula per applicable standards
- Discussion of societal issues related to applications of biotechnology
- Presentation of related careers and educational requirements/pathways
- go home with classroom supplies to help integrate ideas/activities from the workshop
- earn 2.2 CEUs
- receive copies of all workshop materials
- be provided lunch and refreshments daily
- receive lodging assistance (shared and private) if the attendee lives more than 50 miles away from the workshop location.
Dr. Frank P. Keegan is currently the Raymond Binford Professor of Biology, and Director of the Forensics Institute of Guilford College. He joined the faculty at Guilford College in 1975 after receiving his PhD in nucleic acid biochemistry from the City University of New York. In the late 1990s, he developed the Forensic Biology Program at Guilford College. He is the recipient of the Bruce Stuart Excellence in Teaching Award, the Charlie C. Hendricks Distinguished Service Award, and the Alumni Association’s Exemplary Educator Award.
1247 Jimmie Kerr Road
Graham, North Carolina 27253