The BioWork certificate program will teach you the foundational skills you need to begin a career as a process technician for a biotechnology, pharmaceutical, or chemical manufacturing company. Process technicians are responsible for the production of chemical and pharmaceutical products.
- Operate, monitor, and control the production process.
- Receive, transport, and store materials.
- Collect and analyze materials used in production.
- Inspect and maintain the production equipment and control systems.
- Keep critical records on the process and product.
- Maintain company safety, health, and environmental standards.
Skilled process technicians are valued and in demand. Contact a BioWork program director at your nearest community college to get started today.
BioWork is a 136-hour certificate program that covers:
- Biotechnology Industry and Job Overview
- Working Safely
- Current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP)
- Measurements, Metrics, and Math
- Chemistry for Process Manufacturing
- Process Flows, Technology, and Equipment
- Controlling the Process and Maintaining Quality
- Aseptic Processing
- Fermentation and Cell Growth
- Job Search, Resumes, and Interviews
After successful completion, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of quality systems such as International Standards Organization (ISO) and Current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP).
- Measure length, volume, mass, and pressure using the metric system.
- Identify workplace safety hazards.
- Understand separation methods including evaporation, distillation, precipitation, crystallization, filtration, liquid extraction and chromatography.
- Operate process equipment including an autoclave, incubator, microscope, balance, refractometer, pH meter, conductivity meter, and bioreactor.
- Work aseptically to minimize product contamination.
- Provide the optimal conditions for growing cells.
- Apply and interview with confidence for an entry-level process technician job at a North Carolina pharmaceutical or biotechnology company.
We designed this course to cater to a wide range of student backgrounds and career goals. Are you just out of high school and looking to get started in a growing industry, or have you been working and are ready for a change? BioWork will help you take your career to the next level. Before you can register for BioWork, you should:
- Have earned a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Attend an information session.
- Complete reading and math placement tests.
Contact your local community college to find out more about these requirements.